For one month a year I get to teach home ec. to the 7th & 8th grade boys. I have to break them because the attitudes coming in...WHOA! But, I'll bet if you ask the ones who's taken it they'll say that it wasn't THAT bad...or as one said today, "I actually kinda like sewing now". I. kid. you. not. That's an exact quote. And no, I will not rat out who it was~he'd probably never speak to me again...and I like him, he's funny, and I couldn't live without him speaking to me...for very long, anyway.
Anyway, it's always a challenge for what to do with them...I'll usually teach them how to iron a shirt and sew on a button, but then what? We've done ties and (masculine) shop aprons. So, this year I was trying to think of something super easy that only required straight sewing lines. I have a friend whose daughter had a heart transplant when she was 10 and she was telling me about these pillowcases that people make for the kids that are in the hospital. Great idea! I decided to have the kids make pillowcases for cancer kids. Boy ones. Trucks, John Deere, Air Force, Soccer, Baseball, Cowboy, etc. I was kind of thinking that the ones that are made are probably usually for little kids and I wanted to do something specific for boys a little older who didn't want teddy bears or whatever.
Here are a couple of the boys today sewing the pillowcases. This is also being forwarded to the person who puts together the yearbook.
Hahaha.
Too bad, guys...and it's only 'cuz I like ya! ;)
I think I know the boy who kinda likes sewing! ;) He was so proud of his pillow case when he brought it home today. Great idea and I love how they are helping out kids with cancer.
ReplyDeleteLove this idea (and your heart)! And I think Catherine just blew someone's cover!
ReplyDelete